Saturday, December 12, 2009

Technology in the Classroom

The use of technology is of the utmost importance in the classroom today. Time is changing and children today are becoming more exposed to technology. Technology has become a part of their daily lives from a young age. It is a way to help students learn in a way that they know and will help them to learn better. There are many benefits to using technology in the classroom. Technology is something students understand, so using it helps teach students in a way that they already understand. Also, technology in the classroom has a way of grabbing students' attention, whether it's with the use of a SmartBoard, video cameras, software programs, etc. If technology is involved, students are more excited to learn. In addition, using technology in the my classroom will allow me to master and be exposed to the various types of technology, which is something I need to become accustomed to. However, there are many challenges to the use of technology in the classroom. One challenge is that I must become completely aware of all functions of the technology that we may be using in class. This may be difficult to remember all technologies or answer questions that may come up from students or others in the school. Another challenge is that technology will sometimes not work. This means that I must be able to improvise if the technology has failed. The last challenge of using technology in the classroom is teaching all students how to use the technology. For instance, most schools do not have a designated time each day for students to use the computer lab and there are not usually not enough computers in each classroom for all students. So, the lessons of technology have to be taught in rotations on the computer or once a week in the computer lab, which allows for both time consumption or forgetting the use of the technology on the students' parts. Finally, I have to say that I have learned a lot from this Instructional Technology class. One of the greatest lessons I have learned was the copyright laws. I was not aware of these before and I now know that I have to follow them in my daily teaching. Other lessons I have learned have dealt with projects I have completed in class. I have learned that it is fairly simple to incorporate technology in the classroom if I am willing to do it. I have learned that there are so many resources out there to help me as a future teacher. I have learned how to work a video camera, how to use Microsoft programs better and how to create a blog, social bookmarking site and digital portfolio. From Instructional Technology, I have learned technology skills that I know I will carry with me all through my teaching career. I am very grateful for this class because I have learned so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment